LED grow lights, originally developed for commercial growing purposes, were later introduced to home consumers with use for gardening purposes to assist in growing plants better. Indoor gardening is considered a way to connect with nature and reduce your environmental footprint.
Nowadays, indoor gardening continues to grow in popularity. The driving factors include the rise of urbanization, the desire for fresh, locally-grown produce, and a renewed focus on self-sufficiency and sustainability. Technology in hydroponics, LED grow lights and smart gardening are also making indoor gardening easier than ever before.
Cats are known to like warm temperatures and they may seek out warm places such as a sunny windowsill or a place near a lamp. And some cats enjoy resting close to the surrounding area of their owners’ plant lights.
For pet families, it’s natural to wonder if LEDs are safe for cats and puppies. How does LED lighting for weed plants affect our feline friends? This article will provide answers about plant lights and pets.
Is A Grow Light Harmful to Pets?
Well, LED grow lights are generally safe for pets as long as they are used properly and installed correctly. The only thing is that prolonged exposure to blue light can disrupt circadian rhythms and sleep patterns.
The same goes for humans. Too much blue light can affect the retina of the eye and can also seriously affect sleep, mood and circadian rhythms, making you feel sluggish, tired and sleepless. We have previously explored Безопасны ли светодиодные светильники для растений для человека?.
In fact, we do not need to worry too much about the LED grow lights for marijuana on pets or humans.
LED lights are usually safe for pets for the following reasons.
- LED cannabis grow lights emit less heat than traditional incandescent lights.
- LED flicker rate is higher than other forms of light, which is less harmful to the eyes of animals.
- Cats and dogs have virtually no skin exposure and are protected from any light to skin damage.
- Cats rarely look directly at LED lights for cannabis flowering or any lights for long periods of time.
- Most dogs are very happy with the low heat output of red LEDs and their eyes are not particularly sensitive to red wavelengths.
- Blues and purples appear as lighter shades to the animal’s eyes, making for a calmer mood and helping to reduce stress.
What are the Effects of UV Light on Pets？
Some studies do prove that UV light affects the reproductive system of animals. And researchers conducted a study to find the safest type of plant grow lights to address this suspicion. Three rows of fluorescent grow lights, incandescent bulbs and LED lights were used on pregnant rabbits for specific periods of time.
The results were really surprising. Under fluorescent rows, 40 percent of the female rabbits aborted, as did the incandescent lights. But under the Led lights, only 10% of the rabbits were infected.
Cute cats love to bask in the warmth of the sun. However, they are not big fans when it comes to UV rays. Cats have sensitive skin and are susceptible to skin cancer, especially around their ears and nose.
Most dogs have coats that protect them from the harmful effects of UV rays. However, if your furry companion has a light-colored coat or thin coat, they may be more susceptible to sunburn.
Small rodents like hamsters like to burrow and hide, so they don’t get a lot of sun exposure. That said, UV rays can still affect their health, and too much UV rays can lead to skin damage and dehydration.
You Don't Need to Worry About Your Little Cats
Cats are nocturnal animals, preferring to sleep and hang out most of the day, and forage and play at night.
Nocturnal animals usually have a wide pupil that allows more light to enter their eyes, allowing them to see better in low-light conditions. The diurnally active animals can see more clearly in bright light because of the narrow pupil opening. This means that the cat’s eyes have the ability to protect themselves from the bright glare emitted by the light source.
It is important that your weed plant lights are not left on 24 hours a day. The operating hours are based on the amount of light your plants need. Plants need periods of darkness. To save resources, it is recommended to turn off the weed LED lights at night. So even if cats or other animals forage and play at night, they will not be disturbed much.
Are Red LED Lights Bad for Dogs?
The red LED light is safe for dogs.
For dog lovers, you should have learned about red light therapy. The LED red lights used for red light therapy are very beneficial for dogs (canines) and are used by veterinary clinics for diagnostic purposes or as part of treatment. This is because it penetrates deep into the muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones to stimulate the body’s natural healing mechanisms.
Thus, you also do not need to worry about whether the red light emitted by the LED grow light is harmful to puppies. The dog’s vision is also not affected by the LED lights red.
In fact, red and purple LED lights are considered to have a calming effect. This is because they appear in lighter shades, making them less disturbing to animals. Moreover, red and green LED lights do not cause any visible flicker or discomfort.
In general, it is best to err on the side of caution and avoid exposing your dog to bright or flashing lights for long periods of time, as this can cause discomfort and even trigger seizures in some dogs.
Protecting Your Pet When LED Grow Lights Are On
- Some LED lights weed are equipped with UV light, or you only have red and blue lights for plant lights. It’s important to keep them away while the lights are on.
- Pets love to play and investigate new things, especially cats and dogs. You need to hang the plant lights in the right place and secure them with tools so that their inadvertent mistakes do not destroy your lights.
- Adjust the height of your LED grow lights. You should place the light high enough so that your cat can’t reach it or try to climb on it.
- You should make sure that the surface area of the light is as large as possible so that it does not become too hot and burn your cutie after a few hours of being turned on.
- Replace the traditional lights with LED grow lights cannabis. Because they are less harmful to the eyes of humans and animals and produce less heat than other traditional.
- Always avoid exposing your pet to direct sunlight and artificial lighting for long periods of time.
- It is best to grow cannabis in a room or in a grow tent. Both protect the plant and also protect your pet from receiving too much light damage or accidentally eating the cannabis plant.
Use Non-flashing LED Grow Lights
А related study found that animals may be afraid of flashing lights. That said, when a plant light starts flickering for unknown reasons, replace it immediately. Avoid using cheap, low-quality LED lights.
LED lights use diodes that don’t produce heat, they don’t consume a lot of electricity to illuminate your plants. Using less energy means you can reduce your carbon footprint.
By reducing your carbon footprint, you can create a safer, healthier home for better enjoyment of indoor gardening without getting in the way of creating a safer, healthier home with your cat.
How to choose LED grow lights for indoor plants and how to choose horticulture LED lights suppliers are also a must for indoor gardening. However, the best grow lights for weed are no match for the precautions that must be taken to ensure the safety of pets. This may include placing the light in a safe place, using barriers to prevent pets from touching the plants, and monitoring pets while the light is in use.